Chimpanzee tracking is done twice a day at 8:00 am and 2:00 pm with around an 80% chance of finding them on any particular day; Kibale forest national park is undoubtedly the most popular place to track chimpanzees in Uganda and also other primates you will encounter in the trails or along the main road include Red Colobus, Grey-cheeked Mangabey, L’hoest, Red-tailed, Black and white colobus, Vervet, Olive Baboon and Blue Monkey. Children aged 12 and under aren’t permitted.
Chimpanzee Habituation Experience
Regular trackers just get one hour with the playful primates, but those on the Chimpanzee Habituation Experience can spend the whole day with them. If you want to join the experience, you must spend the night before near the park since you head out to the nests around 5:30 am before they come out since you have to follow them.
Kibale Forest National Park offers excellent birding; the forest section (77%) of the park is covered by medium altitude moist evergreen forest in the north and medium altitude moist semi-deciduous forest at lower altitudes in the south. The remaining 23%consists of grassland, swamps and some plantations with exotic conifers. Keys here include Red-winged Francolin, Red-chested Flufftail, white-naped Pigeon, Green Breasted Pitta, African Pitta, Joyful Greenbul, Grey-winged Robin, Abyssinian Ground Thrush, Grey-throated Flycatcher, White-Bellied –Crested Flycatcher, Masked and Black Capped Apalises, Uganda woodland Warbler, Chestnut-winged –Starling, Orange-tufted and Tiny sunbird, Grey-headed Olive-back, Hairy breasted and Yellow-billed Barbets, Thick-billed, Willcocks’s and Cassin’s Honey guides.
Bigodi Swamp Walk
Bigodi Wetland Sanctuary; It is located 6km south of the Kibale national park visitor centre at Kanyancu. Bigodi was established by the local development organization. Kibale Association for Rural and Environment Development. (KAFRED) to protect the 4-sq-km Magombe Swamp. It’s home to around 200 species of birds, as well as butterflies and 8 different species of primates.